Five things your festival suitcase needs
24th April 2018
Got the essentials for that big 2018 festival? Baby wipes? Tent? Glitter? Then it’s time to plan the arguably more importance piece – what to wear.
Whether you’re going for a three-day long event or just partying for one night – here are the five things your festival rucksack needs. We’ve broken it down into guys and girls, but you can definitely nick ideas from the other.
Men’s festival essentials
1. A pair of go-with-everything shorts
Shorts are a festival staple – letting you get those pins out no matter the weather. A pair of cargo shorts are your best choice when it comes to packing that festival rucksack – with plenty of large pockets to keep everything close by – including your phone, wallet and maybe a cheeky bevvie to take along with you to the main stage. Camo is making a big comeback this year – or go for standard khaki.
2. A layer-up long sleeve shirt
You probably don’t want to lug a weighty jacket around – that’s why festival packing is all about the layers. A long sleeve shirt is your new best mate – throw this over a vest, then top off with a cagoule or fold up raincoat if the weather turns. Let’s be honest – it’s gonna rain.
3. A casual shirt
Again, great for layering – wear a check, lumberjack style shirt over a t-shirt or vest or tie around your waist for easy grunge vibes. A bright red shirt ensures your mates can find you in the crowd when you send them off to get the next round in.
4. A strong fancy dress piece
Every festival needs a bit of dress up. Whether you’re an exhibitionist in an all-in-one lycra suit – we respect the bulge – or keep things traditional with UV body paint, you need something like this in your festival bag.
If you don’t want to try too hard, just take along some swimwear. Pop on some swim shorts, flip flops and wiggle into a rubber ring for an easy fancy dress look. Pack some arm bands if you really want to embrace it – but don’t expect to still have these by the end of the night.
5. A baseball cap
A baseball cap works in all weather – shielding your face from the sun or from the rain. Plus it’s great for blocking everything out when you want a cheeky disco nap.
Women’s festival essentials
1. A go-to summer dress
Pair this with your wellies and you’re nailing festival vibes. Look for a summer dress in a stripe print that gets you noticed but still works with everything.
2. The festival style staple – denim shorts
Easy to throw on and they go with everything – you need a pair of denim shorts in your festival bag. We’re loving personalised styles this season – with patches and lace trims to match your personality. Ditch blue denim this season and instead opt for a peach shade or camo print for something a little out there.
3. A cropped top
Ideal for that summer festival, pair your crop top with denim shorts for cool, easy to wear style. We’re still loving bardot styles that let you show off a cheeky bit of shoulder and your midriff too – while lace styles are great for nailing pretty summer vibes and contrasting with ripped denim and chunky boots.
4. A bodysuit
They might make using the festival toilets an interesting experience but bodysuits are ideal if you’re rocking high waisted shorts and don’t want to worry about keeping your shirt tucked in. Athletic style bodysuits are great for pairing with denim shorts and a hoodie for super casual vibes wherever you’ve got tickets for.
5. An all-in-one jumpsuit
Keep things real simple with a jumpsuit that you can wear for those evening stages after a day of dancing in the sun (or rain – probably rain). Grab one of these in a strong print that does all the talking and look for a stretch material that doesn’t hold you back when the bass drops.
Ready to pack the essentials for that big festival in 2018? Don’t forget to top it up with these too:
- Tickets – Don’t wanna forget those.
- Baby wipes – Great if you don’t want to queue for the shower or if the event doesn’t have any.
- Waterproofs – Not gonna lie, you’re probably going to see rain. Pack a lightweight, fold up raincoat or cagoule.
- Portable charger – You’re going to need plenty of battery life for those Instagram stories and slow-mo videos of your mates dancing.
- Lighter – Make friends (there’s always someone who’s forgot theirs) and impress everyone with your BBQ skills.
- Hat – Keep the sun and rain at bay – while protecting your hair.
- Spare socks – We don’t want to sound like your mum but wet socks are not
- Deodorant – For obvious reasons.
- A roll of toilet roll – Trust us on this one.
- Sun cream – Even if it’s cloudy, you’re gonna need it.
- Ear plugs – You’ll probably want to sleep at some point.
Still deciding which festival to go to? Check out our interactive guide with a roundup of the hottest music destinations in 2018, here on the site.