Top layers: 5 lightweight jackets for men
6th March 2019
The sun is almost back and so that means it’s nearly time to toss your winter coat aside and bring out a more lightweight option. Bombers, Harringtons, military, leather and denim jackets are just a few of the options when it comes to looking good in spring weather.
Here are our top picks of the best lightweight jackets for men, this season:
The best lightweight men’s jackets this season
- Bomber jacket – Lightweight with a rebellious edge, this is the jacket you need for those spring first dates and late nights with the guys.
- Harrington jacket – This versatile lightweight style is military inspired but with a softer finish.
- Military jacket – Structured collars, sharp lines and good looking embellishments create a jacket that smartens up any look.
- Leather jacket – Add a bad boy edge and keep out the chill.
- Denim jacket – Mix and match with your current jeans selection.
- Cagoule jacket – Lightweight, showerproof, perfect for April.
- Hoodie jacket – Get your money’s worth and look good doing it.
The bomber jacket
Why a bomber jacket is great for spring:
- Lightweight – Keeps the cold out when layered up but ideal for warmer days.
- Great for layering – Can be worn on its own or over a chunky jumper for easy spring style.
- Cuffed sleeves to keep any chill out – No worries if the wind chill has cranked up.
This season choose a Superdry bomber jacket in a deep khaki colour with signature orange accents – tapping into those classic Mod styles from the 80s and military themes. This jacket is perfect for throwing on over your favourite tee and jeans for a casual but classy look.
The Harrington jacket
Why a Harrington jacket is the right choice this season:
- Breathable – A mesh layer keeps things cool when the weather can’t make its mind up.
- Easy to layer – Lightweight enough to throw over a t-shirt and hoodie but cool enough to wear on its own.
- Stylish print – Available in a range of prints from camo to colour blocked styles.
A Harrington jacket is the perfect addition to your spring wardrobe. This style is popular at the moment and the classic camo print in an unusual blue shade makes this jacket a talking piece. Pair with straight leg jeans, a polo shirt and chunky boots for a look that works whether you’re walking to the pub or shopping on a Saturday.
The military jacket
Why a military jacket is one of the best lightweight men’s jackets:
- Structured fit – This jacket can be dressed up and down with its structured style.
- Sharp lines – Tailored collars and decorated cuffs create a polished look.
- Neutral colours – Tan, khaki, grey and navy make up the colour palette for this jacket style.
Military style coats are another classic cut. This type of jacket pairs perfectly with jeans and boots for a laid back and casual look. Look for sharp collars, tailored pockets and neat lines. Ideal for spring nights out waiting in line to get in the biggest bar or thrown over a simple t-shirt and joggers ensemble at the weekend.
The leather jacket
Why a leather jacket is one of the best lightweight pieces you need in your wardrobe:
- Strong style – This jacket speaks for itself, wear it with the basics.
- Easy to layer – Wear over a hoodie at the weekend or a thicker plaid shirt for easy spring style.
- Comfortable fit – Leather moulds itself to your body over time, resulting in a jacket that fits like a dream.
The classic black leather jacket is always on trend, this style is perfect for casual cool looks and is definitely not one to miss out on. Real leather starts off tough but softens over time, adapting to your body for a fit that works with your shape. Avoid oversized looks this year, form-fitting jackets can pull any outfit together.
The denim jacket
Why you need a denim jacket this season:
- Super lightweight – Best reserved for dry days, this is the jacket for a sunny afternoon.
- Structured fit – Sharp shoulders, crisp collars and neat cuffs make this the perfect smart/casual jacket for the day.
- Softens over time – Like a leather jacket, denim softens the more you wear it and moulds to your shape.
Denim never goes out of style but this season consider the material but with a twist. Printed denim jacket styles are dominating the scene, stealing the show and working as the statement piece for your everyday looks. Don’t be afraid to dabble in double denim once the warmer weather hits, a denim jacket with shorts in the same material is a strong look.
Why the cagoule needs to be in your lightweight jacket repertoire:
- Waterproof – Well, it’s showerproof, so that means you’re covered if you left the house without an umbrella.
- Strong prints – Cagoules aren’t dull anymore, strong prints tap into urban, athleisure vibes.
- Super lightweight – Best reserved for warmer days with a chance of rain.
The hooded cagoule is lightweight but practical and is great for those wetter spring days. Look for a style featuring a strong print. Camo is in this season, with wilder colour palettes complementing traditional khaki and navy shades.
The hoodie jacket
Why the hoodie jacket is the ideal lightweight choice this season:
- Effortlessly layered look – You can still enjoy the layered look without the heat.
- Hood – Ideal if there’s a shower, looks good too.
- Neutral shade – Tan jackets work with everything from your skinny black jeans to straight leg bleached styles.
The hoodie jacket is a new breed of lightweight outerwear and perfect for creating that layered look without sweating when you leave the house. A comfy hood is stitched into the collar to add an athleisure vibe to a structured, lightweight jacket for a finish that turns heads and looks great all day.
Looking for the best men’s lightweight jackets? Check out our full range here on the Superdry site.