How to style autumn 2018 prints
29th September 2018
Print’s gone wild this season, with the catwalks showcasing everything from leopard to zebra inspired material and graphic styles that do all the talking. If you’ve never dabbled, you’re probably wondering how to incorporate these print trends into your wardrobe this autumn. We’ve got you covered babe.
Print trends 2018
What should you look out for?
- Black backed florals – Florals are still in but look for bold flowers on a black base for a striking effect.
- Animal print – The classic animal print is back with a bang. There’s nothing tame about leopard or zebra prints – black and white stripes are always a good look.
- 90s inspired graphics – For when you want your clothes to do all the talking, bold graphic prints in striking primary colours say it best.
- Americana – Rodeo inspired looks were spotted on this season’s catwalks, so look for US themed styles when it comes to prints.
- Camo – Always on trend, military inspired pieces haven’t gone anywhere this season.
How to wear black backed florals
Florals are usually associated with spring but with darker shades and rose flowers make this print perfect for the autumn months. Black backed floral prints were a hot trend on the autumn catwalk, adding a moody, almost witchy vibe to pieces. A maxi dress in this print would look hot for the evening, while jackets and hoodies are ideal for adding an element of the spooky season to your everyday look.
Make black backed florals the statement of your autumn outfit, choosing a hoodie or jumper featuring this strong print. Ideal for dress down days, pair with blue jeans and a basic white t-shirt for an easy way to nail this print trend.
Embroidered styles also work, with cord skirts and delicate floral embroidery that looks great for evenings out. Pair a cord skirt with black heeled boots and a lightweight knit for a comfy date night look. Match the jumper with a shade from the embroidery.
5 ways to wear floral prints in autumn
- Embroidered – As noted above, embroidered embellishments in floral designs are an easy way of adding this to your look. Our Floral Handcraft Cable Knit jumper is the perfect example.
- Jumpsuit – Pair your fave jumpsuit with a lightweight floral t-shirt and trainers for super easy autumn style. Add an oversized puffer jacket.
- Silky blouses – An oversized silk blouse, featuring a delicate floral print is perfect tucked into corduroy jeans and finished off with chunky heels.
- Clashing prints – Pair your florals with your leopard prints for autumnal style that turns heads.
- Accessorise – Bags, scarves, belts, tights, socks – use your accessories to tap into floral print trends in 2018.
How to style animal print trends for autumn 2018
Leopard print never really goes out of style but you’ll see it in abundance this season. You can either totally embrace the animal print trend with all you got or feature hints here and there in your look. Zebra inspired stripes are easy to work into your everyday look too.
5 ways to nail leopard print this autumn
- The party jumpsuit – When it comes to styling animal print – we’re feeling a fitted jumpsuit bodycon, paired with strappy sandals and a bomber jacket for a bold evening look. Animal print is ideal for day to night autumn looks and is easily dressed up or down.
- The mini skirt and t-shirt combo – You could also team a leopard print mini skirt with a basic black t-shirt and trainers for the day, then swap out for heels and add a leather jacket once the evening rolls round.
- The pop of neon – Want to just add an element of animal print? Look for a clutch bag or rucksack that you can pair with a neutral ensemble. Neon touches make the print pop and work best with all black looks such as an oversized hoodie and black skinny jeans.
- The subtle scarf – Animal print scarves are another hot topic for autumn, ideal for pairing with a neutral base layer like black jeans and a fitted t-shirt. Wear yours snug around the neck for a rustic take on the animal print trend or look for an oversized leopard print scarf to throw on – extra points for a faux fur style.
- The statement jacket – Leopard print looks particularly good on a longer length mac or trench coat. Soft suedes or even faux fur make for a comfy, on trend piece to add to your wardrobe.
How to adopt the 90s throwback print trend
We’re loving everything 90s themed lately so tap into this iconic era with graphic prints that make a statement. Paint splatter effects give us all the Fresh Prince vibes so look for this bright print style when shopping.
Layering is always on trend for autumn so pick up a thicker jacket in a strong splatter print to wear over lightweight knits and jeans. Choose an oversized fit so you can fit as many layers underneath as possible on cold days, pair with looser jeans and retro sneakers for all the iconic vibes.
What to wear with an Americana inspired print
Stars and stripes are big news this season, with elements of the famous flag incorporated into fashion designs on knits and hoodies – perfect for the cooler days ahead.
Military inspired pieces work well this print – think khaki shades and thick materials. Jackets featuring military patches and pins can be thrown on over a red, white and blue knit jumper and paired with comfy skinny jeans and tan boots.
Western inspired looks featured heavily on catwalks for autumn but you don’t need to look like you’re going to the rodeo to translate them into your wardrobe. Star spangled prints are a subtle way of adopting this trend, either featured on a hoodie or a bag for a subtle nod to Americana style.
How to rock camo print this season
Camo never left us, so simply give your jacket a refresh with a military inspired cut featuring khaki or grey camo print. Wear oversized over your casual looks and keep the trend going long into winter.
An oversized parka is a good call, featuring a strong fur lined hood and thick material to keep you cosy for days. Alternatively, the print looks just as good on boyfriend fit t-shirts and tailored shirts – like our Oversized Denim Shirt. Pair with black denim, chunky boots and keep makeup neutral for a true homage to military styles.
Get ready to boss these 2018 autumn print trends, whether you’re inspired by leopard print, patriotic styles or want to return to your 90s roots there’s one for you.