2018/19 men’s winter fashion forecast
9th December 2018
You don’t have to get all Jon Snow about it but winter is here and that means your wardrobe gets a refresh. There’s nothing better than filling those free hangers on your clothes rail with some fresh threads, so if you’re looking for inspiration pay attention to this forecast.
How to dress in winter – the 2018/19 edition
Check out these tips to see you through the season.
- Choose your coat for the occasion – While you might prefer a one-size-fits-all kind of deal when it comes to your jacket, you’re gonna need a coat for every occasion. Parkas are good for everyday, casual wear while pea coats and leather jackets can be pulled out for smarter occasions or nights out.
- Check the forecast – The outfit you wear depends entirely on whether it’s going to rain or not, check your phone app before you leave the house. If in doubt take an umbrella.
- Be prepared for anything – The right footwear will see you right through both the dry spells and the unexpected snow storms.
- Overdress – Better to be able to take layers off than freeze.
- Take advantage of pockets – Parka jackets = big old pockets, so you can leave the heavy rucksack at home.
- Put the suede away – It’s not worth the risk, save that suede jacket for summer festivals.
- Wear good socks – Your socks ensure the cold doesn’t travel up. Thick and insulated socks go well with those all-important boots.
- Thin layers are best – A thin t-shirt under a slim jumper and finished with a lightweight jacket make for a layering combo that you can’t go wrong with.
- Accessories are key – A strong beanie or a matching scarf and gloves combo won’t go amiss when the temperature really drops.
Men’s winter fashion 2018/19 – The 5 essentials
British winter likes to toy with us. One day, it’ll feel like spring the next you’ll be scraping ice off your car and wondering when the feeling is going to come back to your fingers. Be prepared for anything and look good while doing it, with this guide to winter dressing for men. Here what we predict is going to be big this season.
- Parka jackets are always a men’s winter style essential
- Winter accessories are making a big comeback
- A leather jacket can see you through on your next winter night out
- Master the art of layering and you can never go wrong
- There’s no shame in wearing the same boots to work, at the weekend and everything in between.
Parka jackets are a must
No matter the temperature, a parka jacket keeps things warm and totally covered. Longer lengths will see you through everything from autumnal temperatures to the first snowfall.
Thick, padded styles won’t let you down – look for oversized hoods to shield you if you get caught in a downpour. A parka jacket is your bag, your blanket and everything in between.
Black, grey and khaki are easy to wear whatever your vibe but if you’re feeling brave, a pillar box red will get you noticed. Whatever you choose, keep it looking fresh all season with a quick read of our jacket care guide here on the blog.
Beanies are the perfect winter accessory
We’re not talking pom-pom embellished styles here. A plain grey or black beanie can be worn whether you’re dog walking or heading into the office. A ribbed style that hides a bad hair day is always a strong look. Styles that fit well and don’t sit too loose are essential.
Leather jackets are your go-to for a winter night out
As well as adding a little bad boy vibe to your look, a leather jacket will keep the cold out – or make you look like a gentleman when you offer it to the girl you’ve been chatting to all night. Wear over a plain white t-shirt, black jeans and chunky boots and you’ll be giving off all the rebel vibes.
Jumpers are the cherry on top when you layer
A good couple of jumpers can see you through all season. A grey cable knit looks great with a collared shirt but also pulls through when paired with a basic t-shirt. A high-neck, zip style is the perfect casual look, great with blue jeans and trainers.
The right boots will get you through anything
Leather hiking boots were big on the seasonal catwalks as designers got back to their roots, embracing and celebrating all things outdoor inspired. A chunky pair of boots work with slim fit jeans and a shirt for those Monday morning meetings or as a comfy addition to your night out look.
5 winter looks for men
Check out these ensembles for a little seasonal inspiration. We’ve broken it down by occasion to serve up some strong looks – ready for whatever you’ve got going in the calendar.
What to wear for a winter date
- Down jacket
- Plain jumper
- Skinny jeans
Winter is the perfect opportunity to get up close and personal with that date. You’re cold, they’re cold – best cuddle. When it comes to your outfit, be prepared for anything – you might end up running out of activities and decide a walk around the park is the best idea. Without the right jacket, you could regret this. A down jacket looks good over a plain jumper and skinny jeans. Finish with trainers and a beanie.
How to dress for a winter night out
- Leather jacket
- Cable-knit jumper
- Slim fit jeans
Winter night out outfits are all about looking cool while propping the bar up but also having the flexibility to let you rip up the dancefloor as the evening goes on. A cable knit jumper on its own works but pair with a leather jacket and you have that perfect balance of hard and soft. Check out our full night out fashion guide here for more inspiration.
What to wear to work in winter
- Structured coat
- Print shirt
- Black jeans
- Smart shoes
Staying smart and staying warm are both easy to achieve. Consider another jacket for work, such as a structured trench coat or pea coat. It should still keep the cold out when you make the dash into the office from the car and make a good first impression with your boss/colleagues/clients. Team up with a print shirt, black jeans and shoes.
What to wear for weekend chilling out in winter
- Long-sleeved t-shirt
- Lightweight jacket – if you do leave the house
Don’t plan on moving from the sofa? We got you dude. Even when you’ve just got your mates round for a game and pizza night, you still want to look fresh. A pair of bold coloured joggers plus an oversized hoodie make for easy to wear winter style that keeps you snug but looking good.
Boss men’s winter style with these tips and tricks. Hit up our new season range and top up your wardrobe ready for winter.