How to wear a bomber jacket with style
23rd October 2018
Bomber jackets have been spotted here, there and everywhere this season – and the trend shows no sign of slowing down. Whether you’re chilling at uni or dressing to impress for a first date, these comfy jackets add instant style to any outfit.
Don’t be left behind, get the low down on a range of easy bomber jacket outfits with our handy guide.
What is a bomber jacket?
Bomber jackets are easy to spot and even easier to style. This jacket stems from aviator wear, with pilots donning these flight jacket styles when heading out. Fur or shearling collars and tan materials were popular choices for many.
Although there’s a few different styles to choose from, they mostly have tightly gathered elasticated waistbands and cuffs, as well as a wraparound collar. They can be worn pretty much anywhere and are ridiculously easy to dress up and down just by making a few tweaks to your outfits.
Once you’ve nailed how to wear a men’s bomber jacket, you’ll never want to take it off.
How To Wear A Bomber Jacket:
- Choosing the right fit for you is a big part of getting the style down, so make sure the measurements match your current jackets.
- Start with simple outfits and then get creative.
- Try simple white tees with jeans and your fave trainers with a bomber jacket before styling it with wacky prints.
- Bomber jackets suit most events, pick one that matches your personal style and you’ll find wearing a bomber jacket easy.
- This type of jacket gives off a sporty vibe, so why not experiment with athleisure wear?
How should a bomber jacket fit?
- Bomber jackets should always rest loosely on your hip – unless you’ve opted for a slightly cropped style.
- The clingy cuffs shouldn’t go past or above your wrists – no matter the fit.
- The cuffs should be relatively tight, so if it hangs over your hand loosely, try a smaller size.
- The final test is to have a look at the collar of the jacket, which should sit comfortably – touching your neck rather than being loose or tight around it.
Pick a bomber jacket style:
Before you start planning your bomber jacket outfits, you need to find a fit that suits your vibe. If you thought there was only one bomber jacket style, you’d be mistaken – we stock a range of different looks. Don’t panic though, we’ll walk you through it and you’ll be looking fresh in no time.
- The aviator bomber. This style is the best of the best when it comes to keeping out the cold with a ultra comfy quilted lining and cosy fleece collar. Whether you’re on the way to the pub or out watching the big game, you won’t have to sacrifice style when keeping warm. Superdry stock this bomber jacket style in both rusty gold and classic military khaki so you can find one that suits your wardrobe.
- The varsity bomber. Typically inspired by American football, varsity jackets are super sporty and comfy. A stripe pattern is featured on the cuffs, sleeves and waistband of the jacket, while a classic initial or number is on the chest. Try the Superdry Kyan Box Quilt Bomber if the athletic vibe is for you.
- The windbomber. Expect to see a combination of a typical bomber and chunky winter coat, with a thick faux-fur trim hood and quilted lining. Our windbombers are ideal for the chilly weather, so don’t be left out in the cold by missing out.
- The flight bomber. All bomber jacket styles were inspired by the jackets pilots used to wear, so the flight bomber could be seen as the classic. They come in various materials including leather, suede and nylon. Many flight bombers – such as our Rookie Duty Patch Bomber – have patches on them to make them look more authentic.
Bomber Jacket Outfits:
Still not sure where to start? No biggie, we’ve got some outfits that’ll suit all styles of bomber jacket. Get some inspo and start experimenting with your look.
The lumberjack look is a classic, especially when paired with one of our bomber jackets. Grab a flannel shirt, roll up those jeans and pull on your bomber, you’ll be good to go in no time. Chunky black or brown boots pull it all together for a casual but dapper ensemble, so make it your go-to for chilled drinks with the lads or brave it on a date with the Tinder match of your dreams.
Cool In Camo
Camo has been big for men’s trends this year, so incorporating the print into some bomber jacket outfits is an easy way of staying on-trend. This khaki layered bomber is the right choice if you’re after something to pair up with a camo tee, black jeans and black trainers for an easy everyday look. Going on a night out? Change up the shoes so the bouncers don’t pounce and you have yourself a cool n’ casual outfit for the club. Want something a tad more cosy? Go for some skinny-fit camo joggers and a fitted black top so you can chill in style.
Distressed But Not Overdressed
Show off your bad boy side by adding some distressed denim to your bomber jacket outfits. The lightweight versions from our range were practically made for layering, so a frayed long sleeved top or knit sits comfortably underneath. Throw some white sporty trainers into the mix and you have yourself the perfect party outfit.
Chilled For Chilly Weather
Whether you’re recovering from a hangover with your mates or running out to grab a takeaway, keep it chilled with a bomber and your favourite fleece-lined joggers. Go for a more fitted jumper so you aren’t swamped in layers and show off those gym gains by choosing skinny fit bottoms. Don’t forget a knit beanie if it’s chilly out, especially if you know you’re going to be hanging around outside.
Take some inspo from the urban trend by styling a patched bomber by tying a flannel around your waist. Keep it casual with a dark jeans and black slim fit top, not forgetting your fave pair of trainers. This outfit wouldn’t look out of place at your local for a couple of beers, but swap the trainers for some lace up boots if you’re planning on heading to the club. For a comfy outfit that still shows off your swag, replace the jeans for some skinny joggers and sliders. Add to the sporty street vibe with a baseball cap or a silver chain and congrats, you now have the world’s comfiest outfit.
Work some of these bomber jacket outfits into your wardrobe for looks that tap into seasonal trends and look good whatever the weather.