5 dress styles that will never go out of fashion
10th August 2018
When it comes to dresses that stand the test of time, there are a fair few.
Even dresses in 2018 tap into or take elements from these iconic looks and adapt them for the current trends. A dress is perfect for everything from bossing it at work to first dates to everything in between. Here, we’ve got the lowdown on five dress styles that never go out of fashion, when you could wear them and how to style them.
1. The summer maxi
A maxi dress isn’t just for summer. Dabble in prints, different cuts and thigh high slits depending on the occasion. Maxi dress styles are ideal for everyday looks but look incredible dressed up with wedge sandals or heels for the evening.
How does a maxi dress fit?
Traditionally, a maxi dress sits snug to the body until the waist then flares out with a looser skirt. When it comes to length, these dress styles can be floor skimming or sit on the ankle depending on your preference. Cami strap maxis or racer backs are popular choices for a holiday, chilling in the hotel bar – while a bardot maxi shows a little more skin and is perfect for nights out.
What is a bardot dress?
This off the shoulder dress style sits lower on your arms and exposes your collarbone, usually with an elasticated hem that sits across the chest and back. It’s a great choice when you’re looking for a maxi for a summer wedding or an evening out.
How to make a maxi dress work for the evening
It’s easy to take a basic maxi and dress it up for a special occasion. Here are some tips and tricks to styling up this longer length dress.
- Accessorise – Don’t be afraid to pull out the longer chain necklaces to hang low on your chest or embrace bangles for a stunning addition to bare arms.
- Look for slits – A cheeky slit will turn heads and gives your maxi a party all-night vibe.
- Swap your bag for a clutch – A handheld clutch is usually reserved for weekend nights out. Pick one up in a clashing colour for a standout finish.
- Embrace heels – Heeled shoes instantly dress up any look. Go for wedge sandals in the summer or strappy, stiletto heels for a prom or wedding.
- Add a bold lip – Keep mascara minimal and choose a strong red or a hot pink for a bold lip that serves looks all night.
2. The skater
We’re not talking Avril Lavigne, skater girl style here. Although there’s definitely nothing wrong with embracing that if it’s your vibe. Skater dresses are actually the perfect everyday, throw on and go look that can be mixed and matched with pieces already in your wardrobe. It’s a dress cut that’s always flattering, so won’t ever go out of style.
What is a skater dress?
Skater dresses were actually inspired by figure skaters, who traditionally wear a fitted dress on top and a flared skirt on the bottom. They’re a cute, girly look for your everyday outfits – perfect for pairing with heels for nights out or trainers and sports socks for a casual vibe.
How does a skater dress fit?
Skater dresses sit snug on top – and can be short or long sleeved – then feature a circle skirt that drops from the waist. These dresses usually sit shorter – great if you want to get your legs out.
Skater dresses for everyday looks
When it comes to wearing these dress styles on a day-to-day basis, look for a plain colour that you can accessorise with to nail your vibe. A cami skater dress looks great on everyone, with slim straps and a fitted bodice – perfect with sports trainers and a leather jacket for trips into town or lunch with mates.
You could also get fancy with an oversized, crisp white shirt, worn over the dress and tied in the middle to create a lightweight jacket. Pair with sunnies, low top sneakers and a cute cross body bag and you’re ready.
Skater dresses for formal occasions
This dress style looks incredible with heels – as legs look longer and you can make things a little smarter with a blazer or lightweight jacket. A velvet material or lace bodice adds interest to this simple dress style – and if it’s not a wedding, go for black.
3. The dress shirt
Shirt dresses can be super formal, with collars and button up looks, or real casual with oversized t-shirt fits. Both offer a slouchy fit that flatters all shapes and sizes, with a whole world of prints and colours to choose from. A dress shirt will never go out of fashion – simply because shirts and t-shirts never will.
What is a dress shirt?
Dress shirts sit in two categories, collar and collarless. A style with a collar is essentially a longer length shirt, giving off that ‘just pulled on my boyfriend’s clothes and left the house’ sort of vibe. Collarless dress shirts are essentially an oversized t-shirt, usually worn with a pair of cheeky denim shorts underneath.
How to style a dress shirt with a collar
This type of shirt is great for days in the office – if your workplace embraces a smart casual dress code. Pair with black skinny jeans in cooler months or wear it on its own with cycling shorts and heels in the summer. We’re loving khaki, military style dress shirts featuring patches for a unique look – these look great with bare legs and ankle boots. Add a blazer to seal the deal.
How to style a t-shirt dress
T-shirt dresses are the ultimate lounge piece, offering complete freedom when it comes to movement. Wear one on its own or team with denim shorts and running trainers for easy, laid back vibes. Look for a bold print or a strong logo on a dress shirt that does all the hard work for you.
How to style a dress shirt for winter
For winter months, a sweatshirt or jumper dress is a great alternative to your fave dress shirt style. Look for a hoodie inspired style for a cosy fit that you can wear all day. Pair with your fave trainers and if it’s really cold layer up with a leather jacket.
4. The bodycon
Bodycon dresses can help you serve up a number of looks – whether you want to heat things up for a summer night out or keep things casual at the weekend. It’s an easy to dress to wear – whatever the occasion – and a truly timeless dress style. A fitted dress never goes out of fashion.
What is a bodycon dress?
Don’t think back to those bandage dresses we loved in the noughties. Bodycon dresses are all about rocking your own look, with a figure hugging fit that holds in all the right places. It’s the perfect, no effort party dress but you can pick up a basic colour to wear for everyday looks.
When to wear a bodycon dress
Bodycon dress styles are good for every occasion. It’s all about how you style one.
- Wedding – Pair a floral print bodycon dress with strappy sandals and a lightweight blazer for wedding day style that looks great in the professional photos.
- Night out – A slinky bodycon dress and towering heels make an impression wherever you end up with the girls.
- Work – Embrace that smart/casual vibe and wear a striped bodycon dress with a fitted blazer and flat sandals.
- Weekends – Throw an oversized hoodie, over a fitted bodycon dress. Choose a brighter colour for a look that turns heads on the high street.
- First date – A fitted, mid length bodycon dress will have them booking in for a second date. Finish with a leather jacket for a tough vibe and to avoid having to take their jacket if you want to make a speedy exit at the end of the meal.
How to wear a bodycon dress every day
Bodycons are a strong party choice but also work for day-to-day outfits. Pair with a casual jacket – denim or an oversized windbreaker works – and finish with trainers. Add mesh socks for a quirky accent.
5. The midi
You can never go wrong with a midi dress – making it one of those dress styles that will never go out of fashion. It’s the perfect length for day or night and can be easily dressed up with heels and a clutch. We’re currently loving racer back styles with low trainers, for breezy looks that are easy to pull off.
What is a midi dress?
A midi dress sits on the knee – so your Mum won’t make any comments when you leave the house. It’s not quite mini, it’s not quite maxi.
How does a midi dress fit?
This depends entirely on the style you choose. These dresses can be fitted or have more of an A-line cut, that sits snug on the hips and flares out at the skirt.
What is an A-line dress?
A-line dresses are super flattering cuts that hug the hips and then flare out at the sides to create an A shape. They’re more common in skirt designs but you might spot some midi dresses in this style.
When to wear a midi dress
Depending on the style you choose, this dress style works for everything. Here are some ideas:
- Racer back midi dress – Ideal for cool festival style, pair with chunky boots, sunglasses and plenty of glitter.
- Long sleeved midi dress – Work with trainers, sports socks and a rucksack for weekend travels.
- Halter neck midi dress – Perfect for long days at the beach, it’s the perfect cover up when you go find the chip shop later.
- High neck midi dress – Wear this style on a first date with an oversized denim jacket and low heels to make an impression.
Ready to update that wardrobe with these five dress styles that never go out of fashion? Check out our dress range here on the site and find the perfect items to match your vibe.